FLORENCE, SC – Brady Walsh pitched six shutout innings and got 22 hits and 14 runs of support as third-seeded Georgia College opened the PBC baseball tournament with a 14-0 win over #6 Flagler on Wednesday. The win moves the Bobcats along in the winner's bracket where they will face the winner of USC Aiken and Lander on Thursday at 1:30 pm. Flagler will have to navigate the losers bracket, playing the loser of the USCA/LU game at 10:00 am.
Georgia College opened the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the first. The Bobcats hit three straight RBI singles, highlighted by Nate Schmal singling up the middle to make the score 3-0.
Three more runs crossed the plate in the bottom of the second for Georgia College. Logan Mattix plated two runners with an RBI single to right. Clayten Ayres drove in his second runner in as many innings with a single to right-center to make the score, 6-0.
Wesley Wommack hit a three-RBI double over the first base bag for the Bobcats in the third, making the score 9-0.
Georgia College added four more runs in the fourth, capped off with Mattix singling through the left side to extend the Bobcat lead to 13-0.
Georgia College added one more in the bottom of the sixth to give the game its final score, 14-0.
- Brady Walsh (6-2) picked up the win for Georgia College throwing six shutout innings, allowing three hits and striking out five, while only walking one. Walsh completed his six innings with 86 pitches thrown. Kane Keith pitched the seventh, allowing only one hit and striking out one.
- Michael Maiocco (9-5) got the loss for Flagler, lasting only one inning while giving up five runs on seven hits.
- The Bobcats were led at the plate by Mattix and Wommack, who eached recorded three hits and three RBI's.
- Ethan Crout, Dylan Jones, Jason Moore and Lorenzo Butler collected hits for Flagler. The Saints used five pitchers in the game.
- The contest was shortened to 7 innings due to the PBC's 10-run rule which is in place for every PBC Tournament game except the championship