COLUMBUS - Columbus State University head baseball coach Greg Appleton is pleased to announce five members of the 2018 signing class that inked with the Cougars in the early signing period.
Chase Cheney, Jarrett Embry, Blake Howell, Matt McDade and Will Wilbanks have all signed with CSU and will join the program for the 2018-19 academic year.
"We are very happy with our early signing group," Appleton said. "We believe these guys have the ability to make an immediate impact for us and will represent Columbus State well on and off the field."
Chase Chaney - SS/RHP - Mountain View High School
- Plays for head coach Jason Johnson at MVHS
- Led Mountain View in all offensive categories
- Hit .319 as a senior with six doubles, two triples and three home runs
- Scored 19 runs, drove in 20 and stole 16 bases
"Chase is a great athlete that has the ability to make a huge impact in the everyday lineup and on the mound. He also excels in the classroom."
Jarrett Embry - RHP - Parkview High School
- Plays for head coach Chan Brown at Parkview High School
- Pitched 17 innings as a senior, striking out 19 and allowing just nine hits
- Recorded six saves
- Gwinnett Dugout Club March Player of the Month
"Jarrett is a strike thrower with a great curveball. We think he will compete for us right away, but we're excited about the potential he has to keep growing and getting even better."
Blake Howell - RHP - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- Coached by Brandon Reeder at ABAC
- Posted a 5-3 mark in 65 innings as a freshman
- Graduated from Schley County where helped SCHS to its first state championship
- Tallied a 20-2 record in three varsity seasons with eight saves, 217 strikeouts and 1.10 ERA
- Set the single-season strikeout record with 112 as a senior
"Blake is a three-pitch guy with excellent velocity on his fastball. He throws a lot of strikes and commands the game very well."
Matt McDade - 2B/3B - Cape Coral High School (Fla.)
- Plays for head coach Michael Gorton at CCHS
- Posted a .456 average with 10 doubles and earned All-Area and All-Conference honors as a junior
- Also picked up All-Conference honors in his first two seasons
"Matt is a great hitter that works the ball gap-to-gap. He has a great sense and feel for the game and has the ability to play multiple positions for us."
Will Wilbanks - OF - Newnan High School
- Plays for head coach Marc Gilmore at Newnan High School
- All-State selection as a junior and two-time All-Region honoree
- Posted a .383 batting average combined over the last two seasons with 25 extra-base hits
"Will is a pure hitter with great hands. He has one of the best approaches to hitting we have seen for a high school player."