NCAA Tournament: Augusta State Upends Lander 5-3
COLUMBUS, Ga. -- Augusta State registered a 5-3 victory over ninth-ranked Lander Saturday afternoon in the second round of the NCAA Southeast Regional at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center on the Columbus State University campus.
Eight days after the third-seeded Bearcats eliminated ASU from the Peach Belt Conference Championships in Greenwood, S.C., the sixth-seeded Jaguars exacted revenge to advance to Sunday’s regional final at 3:00 p.m., vs. No. 2 seed Columbus State.
The doubles teams of Victor Guimaraes-Victor Cabellos and Jenner Stevenson-Jan Labas got the Jags (16-9) on the board when they netted wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, respectively, to put ASU in front 2-1 headed into singles.
The Bearcats won at No. 6 singles to square the match at 2-all before Guimaraes won in straight sets (6-2, 6-2) at No. 5 singles to put the Jags back in front 3-2. Lander (18-5) posted a straight sets win at No. 2 singles to knot things up at 3-all before ASU closed out the match with Victor Cabellos’ victory at No. 3 singles. Jaguar senior Bernardo Fernandes, at No. 1 singles, sealed the win when he bounced back from dropping the second set in a tiebreaker with a 6-1 win in the third set.
2012 NCAA Southeast Regional -- Second Round No. 12
Augusta State 5, No. 9 Lander 3 Saturday, April 28, 2012 Columbus,
Ga. (Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center)
1. #31 Bernardo Fernandes (ASU) def. #16 Paul-Henri Arrigoni (LU) 6-1, 6-7 (1-7), 6-1
2. #41 Vincent Verpeaux (LU) def. Henrique Boturao (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Victor Cabellos (ASU) def. Adam Jonsson (LU) 2-6, 6-0, 7-5
4. Samuel Poutignat (LU) vs. Jan Labas (ASU) 1-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-4, unfinished
5. Victor Guimaraes (ASU) def. Oscar Axelsson (LU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Diego Zegarra (LU) def. Jenner Stevenson (ASU) 6-2, 6-2
1. A. Jonsson/Vincent V. (LU) def. #21 B. Fernandes/H. Boturao (ASU) 8-5
2. V. Guimaraes/V. Cabellos (ASU) def. O. Axelsson/Ross Armstrong (LU) 8-6
3. J. Stevenson/J. Labas (ASU) def. P. Arrigoni/S. Poutignat (LU) 8-6
Augusta State 16-9; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #6
Lander 18-5; National ranking #9; Regional ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,2,3,1)