CSU Women's Basketball Signs Three
Columbus – Columbus State Women's Basketball head coach
Jonathan Norton has announced that three more student-athletes have
committed to play at Columbus State for the 2012-13 season. Kristen
Kennebrew, Yashica (Tae) Smith and Taren White will join the trio
of Candice Edmundson, Brittany Eskridge and Kayla Richards who all
committed during the fall signing period.
"We are very excited about our 2012 signing class" said Norton. "We were able to address all our needs in signing a point guard, perimeter scoring and impact post players to replace [Dominique] Gilbert. This class combined with our nine returning players, three of which were starters, off a team that won 16 games gives us reason to be excited."
Kristen Kennebrew – 5-6 – Guards- Tucker High School- Tucker, GA
- Four year letter-winner and three year starter at Tucker High School
- As a senior averaged 9.3 points per game including a season-high 27 point performance
- Led the team with 39 three-pointers made
- Added 2.8 steals and three assists a contest
- Helped set school record by winning 10 games in a row
"Kristen is a combo guard who can really shoot it. She has good speed and quickness who is a solid ball handler and loves the game. As she get stronger and more experience, Kristen will be a tremendous asset to our program."
Tae Smith – 5-5 – Guard – Central Georgia Technical College – Macon, GA
- Averaged 14.0 points per game
- Added 3.9 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.4 steals per game
- Was an honorable mention All-State member
"Tae is a true PG in every sense. She is a great floor leader
and will help us be more efficient on the offensive end.
Defensively, Tae will help extend our defense with her on-ball
pressure she applies."
Taren White – 5-7 – Guard – Gulf Coast Community College – Grayson, GA
- Led team to a 22-3 record during this past season
- Team was the Florida Junior College State Runner-Up
- Averaged 6.0 points a contest off the bench while chipping in with 2.7 rebounds and 1.2 steals a game
"Taren also comes from the outstanding Gulf Coast JUCO program and will have three years of eligibility for us. She is a tremendous athlete that can create her own shot. She has an outstanding jump shot and rebounds the ball really well from the guard position. Taren is also an outstanding defender and will be an immediate impact player in our league."