NCAA Women's Tennis: Clayton State Advances in Region Play
MORROW, Ga. – May 7, 2010 – The Clayton State Laker
women’s tennis team took its first successful step in the
2010 NCAA Division II National Tournament with a 5-0 shutout over
visiting Georgia College in the NCAA Division II Southeast Regional
at Laker Courts.
This marks the third straight season that the Lakers have advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II National Tournament. 10th-ranked Clayton State, which has won six of its last seven matches to improve to 17-7 overall, now faces 11th-ranked Columbus State in the second round on Saturday at 3 p.m. at Laker Courts. 27th-ranked Georgia College finishes its season 12-12.
The Lakers swept all three matches in doubles and won two singles matches to prevail. In doubles, Vicktoriya Semyrodenko and Ivana Krommelova (No. 1) and Katie White and Marie Cercelletti (No. 2) each won 8-2. Krommelova and Semyrodenko downed Georgia College’s Diane Danna and Bertille Lion, while White and Cercelletti defeated the Lady Bobcats’ Kayla Barksdale and Michelle Lingner. At No. 3, Clayton State’s Evelin Csizi and Jessica Budd held off a furious rally by Georgia College’s Adriana Acuna and Linda Mosa to prevail 8-5.
In singles, Cercelletti blanked Lingner 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4, while Csizi won a 6-0, 6-2 decision over Mosa at No. 5.
CLAYTON STATE 5, GEORGIA COLLEGE 0
1. Katie White (CLS) vs. Diane Danna (GC), unfinished
2. Viktoriya Semyrodenko (CLS) vs. Kayla Barksdale (GC), unfinished
3. Ivama Krommelova (CLS) vs. Bertile Lion (GC), unfinished
4. Marie Cercelletti (CLS) d. Michelle Lingner 6-0, 6-0
5. Evelin Csizi (CLS) d. Linda Mosa 6-0, 6-2
6. Jessica Budd (CLS) vs. Adriana Acuna (GC), unfinished
1. Semyrodenko/Krommelova (CLS) d. Danna/Lion 8-2
2. White/Cercelletti (CLS) d. Barksdale/Lingner 8-2
3. Csizi/Budd (CLS) d. Acuna/Mosa 8-5