NCAA Tournament: Columbus State Punches Ticket to Louisville
Columbus – The seventh-ranked Columbus State University women's tennis swept its way to the Round of 16 Monday afternoon as the Lady Cougars defeated 10th ranked Francis Marion 5-0 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The match was the Southeast Region bracket two final and took place at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center on the campus of CSU.
"I'm so proud of these girls today", said CSU tennis coach Evan Isaacs. "They have been so focused on this goal this year and they have worked their tails off to achieve it."
With the victory, the Lady Cougars improve to 27-2 setting a new school record for wins in a season. It will also be the fourth that CSU has advance to the Round of 16 with the last coming in 2006.
Columbus State was once again dominant in doubles play sweeping all three matches. Andrea Redrado and Renata Paiva got CSU on the board first at third doubles. The duo was in control the entire match as they defeated Kerry Hall and Kimberley Hurter 8-2. Just a few minutes later, Paola Cigui and Milica Tomic finished off seventh-ranked Mona Blauen and Jitka Gavdunova 8-3 at first doubles.
After a tough few games at second doubles, Carolin Weikard and Olivera Jokic turned it on winning the final six games to defeat Tereza Baranova and Julia Graf 8-3.
Freshman Sandra Jung was the first Lady Cougar to finish off her opponent by winning sixth singles 6-1, 6-0 over Caitlin Siney. In the clinching match, Jokic finished off Hurter 6-0, 6-1 to send her teammates running on to the court to celebrate the victory.
Tenth-ranked Cigui was up a set against 11th ranked Gavdunova at first singles while Tomic and Weikard were both trailing in their respective matches when play was called. At fifth singles, Redrado was just two games away from a victory of her own.
Columbus State will now travel to Louisville, Kentucky for the Round of 16 that will begin on May 16. The Lady Cougars will face either Lewis or Northwood from the Midwest Region bracket one at 8:00 a.m. Be sure to check out www.csucougars .com for the latest information about your Lady Cougars.
1. #10 Paola Cigui (CSU) vs. #7 Jitka Gavdunova (FMU) – 6-3, 2-3 unfinished
2. Milica Tomic (CSU) vs. #21 Mona Blauen (FMU) – 5-7, unfinished
3. #49 Carolin Weikard (CSU) vs. #38 Tereza Baranova (FMU) – 1-6, 0-3 unfinished
4. Olivera Jokic (CSU) def. Kimberley Hurter (FMU) – 6-0, 6-1
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) vs. Julia Graf (FMU) – 6-2, 4-1 unfinished
6. Sandra Jung (CSU) def. Caitlin Siney (FMU) – 6-1, 6-0
1. Cigui/Tomic (CSU) def. #7 Gavdunova/Blauen (FMU) - 8-2
2. Jokic/Weikard (CSU) def. Baranova/Graf (FMU) - 8-3
3. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CSU) def. Hurter/Hall (FMU) – 8-2